Sunday, April 3, 2011

Neglect, the Lifeblood of Destruction

At this point in my blogging career, I'm facing an existential quandary.  What exactly was the purpose for this blog, and why have I been putting off writing in it so much lately?  I can answer the first question with very little thought.  I blog because I have shit to say, shit that I can't announce in public without drawing in suspicious glares.  Shit sometimes so deep (at least to me) that if you stepped in it, it would bury you right up to the neck.  (I decided to spare the "so deep it's over your head" metaphor, lest you imagine inhaling my shit.)  Without rambling too much, essentially I've just got a lot of shit to say, and I don't really give a shit whether you think my shit is worthwhile or not.  Thus ends the discourse about my shit.

It remains to be analyzed why exactly I haven't been writing here.  I have thoughts that I wish I could proclaim (to anyone who wouldn't murder me for them,) more frequently than I could possibly produce a statistic for.  Then why, in glorious Cthulu's name, have I been neglecting to write in it?  I'm just going to reason out all of my excuses for neglect.  Let's see where this goes.  I'll play both the role of prosecution and defense here.

1) I'm in college.  I've got, you know, homework to do, exams to study for, and a social life to keep well-oiled.  Plus, I like to sleep.

Well this one I can disprove easily!  The average amount of homework I have nightly now amounts to about an hour and a half.  Occasionally more, and quite frequently, less or none at all.  I also don't study a great deal for exams.  This may be detrimental to the learning factor, but I generally receive good grades.  I also don't go to sleep until about 2 am. 

So that only leaves room for the social factor.  I love to be around people, as any human does.  Whether you believe it or not we thrive on companionship.  It is, after all, the only way to assure a constant stream of reproduction.  However, there are times where I find myself with socialization on the lower end of the "What I Want to Do Today" spectrum.  So naturally, those few introspective moments should lend themselves well to blogging my ideas, right?  Nope.  This is mainly true because of my second point:

2) The Interwebs are fucking distracting.

If there's one establishment I've been the most ambivalent about, it's Facebook.  Obviously it's an excellent way to keep in touch with people, and further share my thoughts with the world.  It's also detrimental to my blogging career, if you can even call it that.  (What a fantasy it would be, being paid to do this.  Alas, I can only dream...)  I further cite my social life as reasoning for not writing.  Facebook is the electronic equivalent of hanging out with friends, only without the constancy; the most you can get at one time is a snapshot of life, that updates every few minutes or so, depending on the activity of the Facebooker. (Facebook worm, perhaps?)  It doesn't really require constant attention.  Yet I stare at the page for minutes waiting for something to happen.  If I added up all those minutes, this blog would be a great deal more enriching.

I guess all of this adds up to the ultimatum that:

3) I'm lazy and easily distracted, realize it, and do nothing about it.

Awesome.  Now that I've identified the issue at hand, I can (hopefully) take care of it.  Or perhaps, I won't.  Either way, I'm about out of things to ramble about at the present moment.  Until later, then!

1 comment: